Wednesday, February 07, 2007

It's February 7th, there is a fresh 6 inches of snow on the ground outside my window and I have already completed my first race weekend. Friday afternoon I jumped on a plane and met up with a few of the guys from the team in the Bahamas, and raced over the weekend before heading home early monday morning. It was a quick weekend not only in time, but also in the races.

Saturday morning was the 3 mile time trial. So we rode down the coast line out to the tt course. I didnt have any of my time trial equipment and I road my standard stuff and just road it like I was doing an interval. It went ok, and I felt pretty good for making that kind of effort. I finished 28th, 40 seconds down, so you know whatever.

Ride to the time trial. Notice how you ride (drive) on the left side.

So after another trip up the coast line to the hotel for some lunch, a quick nap, (or for some a trip to the pool and water slide) it was time to make the 30 minute trip back down the coast line to the start of the circuit race. It was a pretty awesome race, except for the center line rule. It was a fast race with attack after attack after counter. It really never slowed down at all. The six of us rode really well and covered just about every significant move of the day, and even threw out our own counters. Mike was able to get into the last move of the day that caught just at the end of the race that ended up in a field sprint. It was really chaos and we didnt get to organized at the end, but that will come the more we ride together.

Another quick ride up the coast line before dark after the circuit race.

So the next morning we made the trek down the coast line once again to the start of the 103 mile road race. Which would be the same distance we put in the day before with all the racing/riding to the races. It was a bit windy out and a flat course would make this race interesting.

The team before the start of the race behind the rented team car.

The race tactics were the same from the day before in that just be aggressive and dont miss the moves. It went pretty much the same way as the day before just not as fast. It did settle as two guys went up the road and AEG Toshiba took control for the first sprint of the day. They wound it up from pretty far out and we blast into the first sprint of the day on lap 2 of 6. Every time after that the race would heat up in the cross wind by the airport. Unfortunately one time through I punctured as the race was splitting up. I got on the car and back up the the field luckily, as a few were going out the back.

The next lap is when the field made the final race selections. The moves were going and Ian was able to cover them and make the group. Then Mike was able to go with a few others to make it across. As the group of 20 or so was going up the road the peleton seemed to have lost complete interest in the race. A few amateur racers started to up the road and I decided, what the heck and went with them. I ended up passing them all and going most of the way alone to make it back to the front group.

So the three of us were in the front group, which was pretty decent for the numbers in the front. Mike and I did what I thought was a good ride by covering moves and keeping good position. But once again this race was going down to the field sprint. I was able to keep it up front before the sprint after following Mike there and ended up 4th. I left it a bit late, in fear of making the move to early, but I was happy with my result and with the way the team rode over the two days. And lets not forget about the great support from Jon in the car and in my head through the radio.

The sprint for the line. Maybe if I actually looked to see where the finish line was it would help.

So one last time up the coast line to the hotel would finish off the long weekend of riding. Then I had dinner with Brent, his Dad and steppmon, along with there friends. Others decided to go back to the pool, chase some tail, and head out to bar in town. Going out with Brent was awesome because we went to some local places outside of town. A quick stop to a bar, then to a little restaurant on the coast. This was much better then the Sparros the night before next to the hotel. Thanks for dinner and of course the ice cream back at the hotel.

Ummm so that was a pretty bland and boring report. But some might like to know what it was like. I'll try to be more creative in the future. I have to get on the rollers now. I can't wait for summer.

Thanks for reading
breeze on