Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pre Iceman

Iceman is only 3 days away. Iceman is the biggest single day cycling event in Michigan if not the Midwest. It is a 28 mile point to point mountain bike race in Northern Michigan from Kalkaska to Traverse City. 

But it's popularity goes beyond the race course which can be mondain and rather short. It's grown into a weekend party event starting with the expo on Friday night, followed with the racing throughout the day Saturday, which includes a beer tent stocked with sponsored Bells Beer at the finish, the ever long award ceremony and followed up by the numerous after parties. 

With the race being held annually on the first Saturday in November, that has added to Icemans flare. You just never know what you are going to get that time of year in northern Michigan. It's been any where from 65 and sunny to a fresh 8" of snow and everywhere between. This years race forecast is looking cold and wet. Opening the curtains on Saturday morning will be like unwrapping a Christmas present. 

This year I am yet again fortunate enough to be sponsored by Breezer Bikes who have provided me with their new Cloud 9 Elite. After taking a short stint away from making mountain bikes Breezer has made a strong return. 

Their carbon 29er mountain bikes are designed around the thought of riding more like a 26" mountain bike which makes flowing through single track easier. They did this by designing a bike that was able to decrease the chain stay length giving it one of the shortest available for any 29er. And anything that makes handling easier and faster I'm all for. I need all the advantages I can get. 

I haven't gotten to many opportunities to ride off road and haven't raced a mountain bike race since last years Lumberjack 100 so we will see how it goes. I know 90% of Iceman is two track but its the other 10% I'm worried about. Oh yeah and the stacked field of 135riders. Lets do this!!

Breeze on.